Enjoy Your Cozy Gas Fireplace When the Weather Turns Cold
If your gas fireplace is no longer operating the way it used to, or if you simply can't remember the last time you had it professionally serviced, give us a call at (303) 421-2161. Our professional technicians will evaluate and make smart recommendations for gas fireplace repair or maintenance that will help ensure the safe operation, efficiency and prevent costly breakdowns. Blue Sky offers gas fireplace repair appointments throughout Denver, Denver Metro and the Foothills Areas.
As with any other heating equipment in your home, routine maintenance should be performed to extend the life of your fireplace to avoid unnecessary outages and to ensure your peace of mind for safety in your home. In the Denver area, the best time to have your gas fireplace serviced is in the fall, before the cold weather arrives, or in spring, after you're finished using it for the season.
If you're considering selling your home, Blue Sky Plumbing and Heating is available to ensure that your fireplace operational features are functioning properly and safely so that the sale doesn't get held up by a concerned home inspector. If needed, we can also repair or service your blower motor, pilots, ignitors and controls. Many home buyers in the Denver market list a working gas fireplace as a desirable item to have, so make sure you have a safe and functional one by calling Blue Sky!
Our workmanship is guaranteed. Period.
Safety Tips for Your Gas Fireplace
Regular maintenance on your gas fireplace is the first step. When you have your fireplace professionally maintained, you can avoid any carbon build-up that could result in incomplete combustion, plugged gas orifices and pilots; delayed combustion or "booming" when you turn on the fireplace; flame "popping" upon fireplace extinction; and weak drafting of flue gases. That "yellow" flame that makes us feel cozy is also part of the danger. Blue flames indicate that the fuel is burning completely... yellow flames produce carbon or soot. Keep your family safe and warm year after year by annually servicing your gas fireplace.
Beyond recommending annual professional servicing, we've added some additional gas fireplace safety tips and suggestions for you:
- Keep the pilot clean, and make sure the flames ignite quickly when you turn on the gas.
- Make sure the flue damper is open. If your fireplace is a log-burning conversion to gas, then a damper lock should be tightly in place to ensure the damper remains safely open all of the time.
- Do an inspection of the rooftop flue stack termination before the weather turns cold and the roof is covered in snow or ice.
- Check for gas leakage at all gas connections in and around the gas fireplace, control valve, piping, pilot assembly and pilot tubing.
- Make sure smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in your house or apartment are working properly. Check the batteries and replace them regularly. If the detector is approaching 5 years old, replace it with a new one.
- Always keep a fire extinguisher installed so that you are prepared in case of an emergency.
- Keep children away from the fireplace. The glass can get very hot and may cause a burn if touched.
- Your fireplace should be quiet and odor-free.
An Energy Efficient, Eco-Friendly Heating Device
Not only is a gas fireplace a popular feature in homes today, it can also function as a back-up source of heat if you experience a furnace or boiler failure. It can help reduce your heating bills by spot-heating only the area you are sitting in, enhance your home's value and can be installed nearly anywhere in the home. Before you purchase a gas fireplace, check the BTU rating that indicates the amount of the heat it can produce. Buy one that is suited to the size of the room where you plan to install it - there is no benefit in buying a unit with higher BTU capacity than you need.
So ensure your gas fireplace is operating safely and efficiently by contacting us for a service or maintenance review today. We're happy to answer any questions you have regarding the maintenance and repair of your gas fireplace.
Call (303) 421-2161 for Gas Fireplace Repair in Denver and the Metro Area
We service Applewood, Cherry Hills, Arvada, Golden, Evergreen and the entire Metro Denver area. To get a complete list of the communities we service, visit our service area page.